Falcon Lake Year round Tagged fish contest
In 2017 we brought the excitement of the Winter Fish-Off to the summer time by adding 6 tagged fish into Falcon Lake worth a total of $10,000. Imagine, every time you set the hook on Falcon Lake this summer you might have thousands of dollars on the end of the line!
Our first winner was Pete Klassen who caught a $1000 fish on August long weekend 2017
In 2018 we made it bigger and added 6 more $1000 fish, bringing the total to $15,000. In 2018, 4 of the tagged fish were caught, of which 2 of the anglers had their tagged fish ticket and won $1000 each! (the other 2 fish were released with the tag still in them)
In 2019 we’re at it again. We tagged 3 more $1000 pike on Feb 26, and intend to tag 3 more Bass on opening day!
Anyone can participate. Just buy your ticket for $20 at any of our local retailers and you'll have a chance of winning thousands of dollars for catching a fish!
Kids (15 and under) are automatically entered if they're fishing with an adult with a Tagged Fish Ticket!
Get your tagged fish ticket for free if you purchase a second hole ticket ($30) at the Falcon Lake Winter Fish-Off
Congrats to Pete Who caught the first Tagged Fish on Falcon Lake! Pete won a $1000.00 for catching the pike with tag #2 in it. Pete caught this fish from shore near the Falcon Lake Winter Fish-Off derby site. there's still 5 tagged fish worth a total of $9000.00 swimming in Falcon Lake as we Speak so get out there and try to catch one!
How to claim your prize!
These three steps could get you $5000.00!
#1: Hero shot!
Take a picture of yourself holding the tagged fish with the tag visible. (Try and smile cause you just won some big money!)
#2: a picture of the tagged fish with your contest ticket!
You must have purchased your contest ticket before catching the fish. The tickets are not transferable so you cant borrow your buddies ticket. We have a record of every ticket purchased and there will be an interview to ensure you abide by the rules of the contest. Cheating is bad Karma, and Karma is important in fishing.
#3 remove the tag and bring it to the Faloma Beach Marina
Cut the tag off the fish and release the fish to be caught again. Bring the tag and the pictures to Faloma and once the catch is verified we'll write you a check for the Value of the Fish
Sounds like fun! where can I get my tickets?
Tickets are available for $20 (cash only please) at the Faloma Beach Marina, The Falcon Lake Marina, Falcon Beach Auto, and Keystone Resort in west Hawk Lake.
Need a place to stay? the following resorts are running a "buy one ticket get one free" promotion when you stay with them.
Penguin Resort at Faloma Beach, Falcon Trails Resort, the Falcon Lake Resort Hotel, CBC Cabins in West Hawk, West Hawk Lake Resort, Tallpine Lodges in West Hawk, and Keystone Resort
1. Contest begins March 18, 2017 and ends once all prizes have been claimed at the winter fish off the following year.
2. All contestants must be registered prior to catching a tagged fish. Tickets are not transferable. There is a new Tagged fish ticket every year, you must have the current tagged fish ticket. The 2019 ticket is red. In order to be eligible each angler must have their own tagged fish contest ticket, you may not use your neighbours tagged fish ticket. Children are the exception to this rule. All children (under 16) are eligible for tagged fish prizes as long as their fishing with an adult who has their entry ticket. Potential winners will be subject to an interview and witnesses may be consulted to ensure these conditions are met.
3. All contestants must obey Falcon Lake fishing regulations (see Manitoba angling guidebook).
4. To claim the prize any contestant catching a tagged fish must:
a.) take a photo of the angler holding the tagged fish with tag visible.
b.) take a photo that shows their entry ticket and the tagged fish in the same picture
c.) remove the tag, release the fish, and bring the tag to the Faloma Beach Marina
5. Fish must be caught on rod and reel. no spearfishing, dip netting or trapping etc.